Saturday, March 10, 2012

Thoughts on Miyazaki

"In this borderless age, a man who doesn't have a place to put his roots will be looked down upon. A place is the past and also a history. A man without history, or a people that forgot its past will have no choice but to disappear like a shimmer of light or to lay eggs endlessly as a hen and consumed."

- Hayao Miyazaki (The Art of Miyazaki's Spirited Away)

I think the reason why Miyazaki's films are so successful is that his vision is built on the foundation of his history and ancestry. In this way his spirit is linked to those before him.

I think of myself and I see how I have no link to my past or who my ancestors were. My history is unknown and I have always felt lost in this sense, as if a a part of me is missing. There is a wealth of knowledge and ideas buried in my past that my life and art can benefit from. I hope to uncover these things in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment